You Can Take Charge Of Your Future

Your Legal Advocates For New York Child Support

You and your spouse are committed to loving and caring for your children, even though you’re no longer together. As you establish how to do that in this new phase of your lives, child support will play a substantial role in how you contribute financially to your children’s well-being. Reaching an agreement on child support matters can be complicated and contentious. However, you can still find ways to reach an agreement while keeping your best interests in mind.

Our lawyers at Powers Law, P.C. bring 50 years of combined experience to every family case we handle. We can give you a good sense of what to expect at every step so you can feel confident about your decisions.

How Does New York Calculate Child Support?

This can depend on many factors, like how many children you and your former spouse have, how much money each of you makes and which of you has primary custody of the kids. For example, if you are a noncustodial parent with two children, you could pay a quarter of your gross annual income in child support.

You can get a basic idea of what you might be paying by looking at New York’s online child support calculator.

Is Child Support Taxable?

Child support is not taxable in the Empire State. So, if you receive child support payments in New York, you do not have to record them on your state or federal tax return.

How Long Does Child Support Last?

While children become legal adults at 18, New York parents can still be responsible for supporting their children until they turn 21.

What To Know About Child Support Modifications

Life can change instantly; when those changes happen, you may wish to modify your child support agreement. For instance, you may request to modify child support under the following circumstances.

If You’re The Noncustodial Parent

You may wish to change it if:

  • You lose your job.
  • You take another job that comes with a pay cut.
  • You become incarcerated without a chance of parole.
  • You experience a financial emergency.

If You’re The Custodial Parent

You may wish to change it if:

  • The custodial parent gets a pay increase.
  • Your children’s education and health care costs increase.
  • You lose your job or have to take another job with lower pay.

To request modifications, you typically have to wait three years from when you created your original agreement. However, you can request changes earlier if your income decreases by 15%. We understand these rules can be confusing and your needs may not fit neatly into them. Call us at 631-215-3442 today. We can help you determine what to do.

Navigate Your Child Support Issues With Confidence

We understand this may be unfamiliar territory for you and that you may feel uncertain about handling child support matters, whether you are a custodial or noncustodial parent. Don’t worry; we’re here to listen to your concerns and advocate for your best interests every step of the way.

Email us to schedule a consultation today.